Monday, October 25, 2010

Six Pack Sunday

Lost in the negativity of yesterday's post was the fact that I drank 5 beers (3 Heinekens and 2 Stellas) at the fall bash.  Now that that's done, let's move on to the positive: Friday through Sunday!  Friday night was a needed night in.  I drank a whopping total of 2 Brooklyn Octoberfests.  Saturday, on the other hand, was a pretty fun/busy day.  Liz and I went out to brunch and afterwards I was craving a coffee stout something fierce, so we sauntered on down to the ol' beer distributor where I picked up a bottle of Troeg's Java Head Coffee Stout and what amounted to a mystery bag of assorted beers.  The place had cases of random assorted beers from the Park Slope Co-op on sale for 20 bucks.  At a price that low we had to gamble.  Any way, went home, drank the coffee stout.  I gotta say, I am a fan of beers with breakfast.  Here's something interesting.  Did you know that orange juice wasn't always a breakfast drink?  In the 1930s, there was an over abundance of oranges, so growers tried marketing the juice as a breakfast drink when it had previously been more of an evening drink, as it were.  I'd like to see beer launch a similar campaign.

Later that evening I joined my friends at Brooklyn Bowl.  Their band was headlining some CMJ thing there that night, which meant they got free meal and drink tickets, which one of their other bandmates didn't want, so in turn I got free drink tickets, which is awesome, not unlike this run-on sentence.  So yeah, had a Brooklyn Pilsner with dinner at Brooklyn Bowl.  Then we headed over to the Brooklyn Brewery where I had a Brooklyn Cuvee Noire, which I wish I had more to say about the beer, but I really don't.  While I am constantly excited about all beers all the time, I like to be in a "beer-drinking" head space when trying new beers.  Unfortunately, I was in a "hanging with friends" head space at the time, so the best I can tell you is that the beer was good and I look forward to trying it again and giving it my undivided attention.  Went back to Brooklyn Bowl where I watched their band's stellar performance while drinking a Brooklyn Lager.  All in all, an excellent Saturday.

But check out my Sunday.  I think I'm going to start having every Sunday be a six-pack Sunday.  I mean it has an alliterative name, so how could that be a bad thing?  While my Cardinals lost pretty horribly, as did my fantasy team, the beer was superb.  Five of the six beers (that is, every beer except the first) are from the random case.  I started the day with a Bear Republic Tribute Brown Ale at 2 and finished with a Wells Bombardier at 11.  In between I had a Reissdorf Kolsch (in a kolsch glass no less!  What? You don't have kolsch glasses?  Whatever you say, weirdo), Fuller's ESB, Whale's Tale Pale Ale, and a Leipziger Gose, whatever the hell that is.  Instead of reviewing each beer, I'll just give you my list of preference: Bear Republic, Fuller's ESB, Reissdorf Kolsch, Well's Bombardier, Leipziger, and finally Whale's Tale.  All of the beers were good, but none were exceptional.  Well, I guess maybe the kolsch was an exceptional kolsch, but it's third place position probably tells you what I think of kolsch's.  They're pretty good!  Just other types of beer I think are better!

Well amigos, that was my weekend.  The Suns' season starts tomorrow, and I'm not drinking tonight (Detox Monday, while excellent in practice, doesn't have quite the same ring as Six Pack Sunday), meaning I'll probably repost my rules for the Suns as Beer, and then drop the Robin Lopez post!  Be excited.  Here are some numbers:

Total Beers: 844
Where I Should Be: 813.698

No comments:

Post a Comment