Sunday, April 25, 2010

Do They Owe Us a Living? Of course they do! Of course they do!

I don't have a hook for today, so I'll just actually talk about the beers I drank yesterday! You're welcome, people who hate interesting posts. Yesterday I had a Speakeasy Rum Runner Rye, what I can only assume is their take on a rye ale, at the Gate. It was surprisingly drinkable. Other rye ales I've had, Sixpoint's come to mind, while tasty, aren't exactly what I would reach for on hot summer day. While it was drinkable, I will say it seemed to sacrifice some flavor at the expense of a crisp brew. For instance, I didn't really taste that much rye! In a rye ale no less! What a crazy world we live in.

Later that night we went to Mug's Ale House. This was impressive because this was the first time I ever went to my top two favorite bars in the SAME DAY! Anyway, there I had a Left Hand Sawtooth Ale. I've had it in the bottle before but on draft it was crazy! It had that creamy consistency of a Guinness or a Boddingtons but still had the pale ale taste. Crazy! At Mug's I also had a Founders Continental IPA, which was a pretty good IPA. What's notable, at least in terms of my drinking experience, is that Founders is a Michigan brewery. So is Atwaters! Two Michigan beers two days in a row. Michigan, I will say, is secretly a very good craft beer state. Don't believe me? Check this out. I've been to the Library Brewery in Houghton and Fletcher St. Brewery in Alpena, and both are great.

After that, we went to the Charleston where I had an Ommegang Rare Vos, which I'm pretty sure I've discussed before. If not, I'm sure I'll talk about it in the future. The Charleston is pretty awesome because they play exclusively punk rock on the juke box and you get a free pizza, not a slice but a whole pizza!, for every beer order! It's awesome. After that, I had two Strongbow Ciders. Here's my description of Strongbow: If hobos were hummingbirds, Strongbow would be in those feeders people hang from trees. And there's your not quite funny or p.c. joke for the day. See you tomorrow!

Total Beers: 334 (hey, over 1/3 of the way done!)
Where I Should Be: 312.328

No comments:

Post a Comment