Sunday, June 13, 2010

USA? USA? USA?

All right chumps and chumpettes.  You want to be there for the 500th beer?  Well, come on down to the New York Brewfest.  It's next Saturday.  You might notice that as of the last posting, I was 47 beers down.  You might think that's a lot to cover in a week.  Yeah, I think that too.  But here's the deal.  I don't need to cover all of it.  The Brewfest operates like, well, a brewfest.  You get a four ounce glass and get to go nuts with the tasting.  So let's say I get to 480 before that Saturday (which I think is doable).  I'll only need to have 20 tastings to get to 500, which is a whopping total of 80 ounces.  I can do that.  Anyway, that's the announcement.  Next Saturday.  Be there.  Till then I'll be here, working on my numbers.  About those....

The past couple (three) days have been a roller coaster of beer drinking.  Thursday night I had four beers.  Liz and I like to do this thing where we each pick out two six packs in lieu of buying a case of something.  Well I picked out Lagunitas Brown Shugga and Arcadia's Whitsun Ale.  Liz picked out Sly Fox's Phoenix Pale Ale and Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils (she was going for a canned theme).  I had one of each. The Brown Shugga is a barley wine (so I'm already on board) made with, I believe the technical term is a "shit ton" of brown sugar.  It's pretty sweet and really drinkable.  It's supposed to be a winter offering, but the beer distributor by my place sells all kinds of beers out of season, which is pretty cool.  The other three beers are all pretty self explanatory.  I will say that the Arcadia beer is really, really good.  It's way, way thicker than you'd imagine and is ridiculously refreshing.  While I liked the Oskar Pils, I think it definitely ranks as my least favorite Oskar offering, which isn't to take anything away from it.  As with the Whitsun, it's a pretty good summer beer.  It clocks in at 5.3% ABV, which I only note because Oskar Blues' website notes that it's a low alcohol content beer by their standards, which I thought was funny.

Friday: no beers.

Saturday: 10 beers.  See, roller coaster?  I will say that honest-to-Satan, I did not intend to drink 10 beers on Saturday.  And these were ten legit beers.  Yesterday some soccer thing happened apparently.



Anyway, I have a British friend.  Weird, I know, as Brits are so unlikable, but this guy's ok.  Well I went over to his place to chant "USA! USA! USA!" in his face for a couple of hours during the big USA-UK tie-fest-a-palooza.  Before I left, I had a Brown Shugga at my apartment around 12:30.  During the game, I had two Brooklyn Lagers, a Brooklyn Brown Ale, and a Sam Adams Black Lager.  That was going to be it, FOR THE DAY.  But, BUT, someone else at the party left half a 25 oz bottle of Unibroue's Trois Pistoles just sitting on their counter.  So I poured out a full pint from that.  Then I really thought I was done.  Turns out I was not.  There was a birthday party last night that everyone and their mother was going to, so of course I went.  Well first I went home and napped for a couple of hours, and then I went. The party was at Gallery Bar, where in addition to buying drinks, you could buy things such as a painting of a hipster caveman stalking a rodent for the low, low price of 3,200 dollars.  Suffice it to say, I had anticipated only buying one beer and then leaving.  Well I bought Liz and I a round of Land Sharks (their tap selection was not that great, and by that I mean it was awful, as you can tell from me buying Land Shark).  I go buy another later (including some drinks for the birthday girl).  Now my tab should include 4 beers as well as a couple of mixed drinks, which surely should put me over their 25 dollar credit card limit.  Turns out, they didn't put about three or so of those drinks on my tab, so when I go to close, I am informed that I have to buy two more beers to get to the 25 dollar limit.  So I get another round o' Land Sharks, Liz doesn't want hers so I end up drinking the two.  So, because of the bartender's error, I have to drink essentially two free beers.  Sometimes life can be so hard.  A total of six beers and two or three mixed drinks for 25 bucks in a fancy Manhattan bar.  Thus goes the story of me accidentally drinking 10 beers in a day.  Also, fyi, I woke up today at 8:30 in the morning feeling perfectly fine, which is pretty cool!

Total: Beers: 467
Where I Should Be: 446.575

No comments:

Post a Comment