Saturday, March 13, 2010

We're Talking Softball.



We've got some ground to cover today. Let's first go back to those Brooklyn Monster Ales. You probably guessed I hated them right? Well that's a stupid guess! They're great! I love me some Barleywines and Brooklyn, as always, makes an excellent. I thought I'd have more to say about them, but nope! So let's move on to Thursday night.

So those of you following the Twitter (all five of you), got a super secret exclusive. I had four beers on Thursday night: two Heinekens, one Brooklyn Pilsner, and one Speakeasy Prohibition Ale. The Heinekens were courtesy of an open bar on my school's campus as part of some fundraiser. Generally I like Heinekens enough, the Heinekens you get at their brewery (or what used to be their brewery and is now just a giant, and pretty fun, Heineken museum) might be some of the most refreshing beers you'll have in your life. But every Heineken I've ever had at an open bar is always pretty gross. I don't know if they make a substandard Heineken to use at just these occasions, but it kind of weirds me out. A beer's free-ness generally makes it taste better to me but that's not the case here. In the immortal words of Da Yoopers, "Free beer, free beer, that's my favorite brand. If I didn't have to buy it, it's the best beer in the land. Warm flat funky, it don't matter to me. The greatest beer in this whole world is the one you buy for me." I wanted to post a video of the song,* but the only one I could find was this:




which if the internet, or cameras, existed when I was kid, my cousins and I would have made this exact video. Anyways, after the fundraiser thing, I went out to City Tavern and had the other two mentioned beers. You've heard enough about Brooklyn, so let's talk about Speakeasy.

Speakeasy is a brewery from San Francisco, which is a sleeper for "Best Beer City in America." You've heard me eloquently opine about the wonders of 21st Amendment,** another San Francisco brewery. Well, just take what I wrote about them and apply it to Speakeasy.***

On Friday night, I participated in my first ever fantasy baseball draft. I stopped following baseball around 1994, and such, was pretty shocked when someone drafted Chipper Jones. If I could draft the entirety of the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant Softball Team, I would have. I tried to take Three-Fingers Mordecai Brown, but sadly he was off the board (dead). I took Prince Fielder in the first round, as his dad was pretty cool. I know you're all thinking I should have taken Cabrera, as he shares my love of drinking, but apparently he quit. I had five beers that evening, two Famosas, two brooklyn Pennant Ales, and a, here's an ominous first for this blog, a Bud Light. I don't want to talk about it. All you need to know is that I didn't buy, didn't feel good about drinking it, and wept through three rounds of the draft due to how disappointed I was in myself after drinking it. The choice came down to a warm (and I mean warm) Famosa, or an ice cold Bud Light. It was Sophie's choice times 1000. I did what I had to do. After the draft we went to some bar where I had a Brooklyn Pennant, and then it was back home!

So the numbers: 4 on Thursday, 5 on Friday, plus the 2 I didn't add up on Wednesday, put us at...

Total Beers: 220
Where I Should Be: 194.520

*See what I did? I actually did post a video of the song! This is what they call in the publishing world "poor writing."
**Also, you didn't "hear" me say anything. You read it. I, apparently, am having trouble connecting words and phrases and things today.
***There I just got lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment