Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snowpocalypse

Everything paling away into the murk. The soft ash blowing in loose swirls over the blacktop. I studied what I could see. The segments of road down there among the dead trees. Looking for anything of color. Any movement. Any trace of standing smoke. I just sat there watching the ashen daylight congeal over the land. The snowpocalypse had arrived.

Everybody enjoy my sweet description of the snow? I would like to note that that's totally not a misappropriation of a random paragraph of Cormac McCarthy's the Road. I will say that I am writing from the belly of the beast. Outside the snow is falling at a ridiculous rate (at least I hope it's snow. If it's ash, we're all in a lot of trouble.) The streets are pretty barren and all I can see on the road outside my apartment is a giant gas truck. At least I hope it's a gas truck and not this:


But anyway. Today will be a sweet day spent indoors and drinking some quality winter beers. But before I get to that, I should document my beers last night. Liz and I went out to dinner where I had a Harpoon Winter Warmer. Then we went and got a couple of cases of beer and headed home to hunker down for this storm. At home I had a Sam Adams Coastal Wheat, a Sam Adams Old Fezzywig (who can guess what one of the cases we bought was?), a Brooklyn Pennant Ale, and a Brooklyn American Ale, for a total of 5 beers.

I bet even the biggest beer connoisseurs among you just skipped over something pretty weird. Brooklyn American Ale. Seems like one of the basic Brooklyn beers, right? You might even be thinking that you've had that before. Well, I bet you haven't. Brooklyn American Ale is a beer that Brooklyn Brewery brews just for Finland, of all places (for those of you not in the know, I am of Finnish ancestry). The legal info and ingredients on the bottle are all written in Finnish. It's crazy! As you may know, beers in America aren't required to list their ingredients. Well one of the ingredients on the beer was "kornmalt." I got a little nervous because I thought Brooklyn was trying brew beer for the Finns with adjunct material, but it turns out "kornmalt" is Finnish for "barley malt." Whew!

When Liz and I were at the beer distributor, we saw they were selling cases of Brooklyn American Ale for an absurd $25. After our first impression of, oh yeah, we've had that, we realized we hadn't, nor had we ever heard of it. We brought it home, did some research, and found out the info I just wrote. How this beer brewed exclusively for Finland found it's way to my neighborhood, I don't know, but it's a pretty happy accident I suppose. A Brooklyn Brewery beer made exclusively for Finland. This, my friends, is a beer just for me.

Total Beers: 117
Where I Should Be: 109.589

No comments:

Post a Comment